Monday, July 20, 2009

I can't stand it




Ok, so its been nearly 4 weeks and
NO SHOPPING!
I can't stand it!!!


For those of you who know me, and for those of you who don't so well...I live to shop. My closet is sufficating from lack of labels. Yes, I did bring some amazing clothes to London, and yes, everyday I do look oh, so chic in my 'American' clothes (if I do say so myself) but...hello people, this is London, home of Alexander McQueen, Vivian Westwood, Matthew Williamson, Burberry, Stella McCarthney, Ana Hindmarch, Lulu Guinness, and not to mention amazing world-famous department stores; Harrods, Selfridges, Liberty, Harvey Nichols...the list goes on and on...
All day I walk along the streets of London looking, wanting, wishing for chic labels. Ok, so it dosent all have to be designer labels, granted they are nice...but how about a little Top Shop, Reiss, Zara or Jigsaw love to bring home to the empty hangers in my wardrobe>?

The fashion here is amazing just think about it, Kate Moss, Sienna Miller, Kiera Knightly they are all produsts of this British look...who knew that leggings and ridding boots could look so chic, or fedorias dressed with feathers would work well with a sundress and Hunter garden boots, and how about the girl who wears gladiator sandles with her bermuda shorts and a long blazer...you just don't see these things in the States (at least not in the midwest)...and I'm so inspired to fit into the British fashion, and to forget the rules about bra straps showing and not having your butt covered when wearing leggings...The brits do it all, good and bad. You can break a fashion rule here and a million eyes aren't on you...you can step out of your confort zones and try something new without being riduculed. The truth is, if you don't have your own sence of style here, you are boring...and I have never been one to be bording when it comes to fashion...sometimes a little conservative, but never boring.

Yes, I do have a list of things that Im dying to buy with my weak American dollar when I go back to the states for a visit in a few months, but truth be told, can I make it that long?!?!?!?!? I just can't fatham doing the conversion of the price of a Tori Burch handbag, and when I figure out the price in US dollars, its like double then what I would pay in the States...OUTRAGES!

Window shopping is the worst form of torture...
so, I have decided not to torture myself anymore. After 4 weeks of nearly crying at the Fendi counter at Harrods, I have made the life changing decision...I am going to read...???

Read you ask>? YES!
and no, I'm not talking USWeekly, although I do allow myself to splurge and spend $7.00 on an issue whenever I come across one at a local street vendors. (typically its a week or two old)
So reading it is...I will make my days about reading and not shopping...

First off, The Story Sisters, by Alica Hoffman...I began reading this book last week, when my desire for shopping hit an all time high, and after 3 days I finished the 325 page book about 3 sisters and their life's trials. I found my favorite thing to do is grab a blanket, make myself a little picnic lunch, and head on over to Hyde Park and find a quite tree that I can lean against. And to my surprise, I find myself looking forward to it?!
The book was interesting, the weather ok, the park fun, and my desire for shopping gone (that is until I have to walk past all the shops on High Street Kensington to get home)

Reading, who knew?!...The most reading I ever do is UsWeekly, Elle Decor and Vogue...which has VERY interesting articles!
So, my new book is...I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, in fact when I bought the book I asked for a gift receipt from the checkout girl so she didn't think the book was for me....the New York Times #1 Bestseller, Twilight....and 138 pages into it, and its good!..no, its actually, great!?!

I really hope my reading plan works...although I do still plan on living at Neiman's for a day when I visit home.

Its a cruel, cruel fashion world!

No comments:

Post a Comment