Monday, June 15, 2009

The Begining




Ok, where do I start....
So I'm "moving" to London (I will explain the quotes later) and I'm moving in 1 week, June 23rd, 8:00pm flight to be exact.

How did this happen do you ask? Great question, let me tell you...

Well, It all started with this boy (it always does) we will call him "Keith". You see, A few years ago I moved to a suburb of Chi-town. I moved to the burbs because I bought a home, with a different boy, we will call him "Richard" Upon moving to the burbs I started working a store that sells homegoods, i.e. cutting boards to sofa's...I worked in the furniture department. One evening this boy came into work looking to furnish his condo he had just bought downtown Chi, that boy was Keith. Keith was the nicest person I had ever met...he was patient, funny, gracious, honest, and not to mention cute. We had a great working relationship, I was his sales associate and he my client. After a while of him visiting the store and us having phone conversations, I gave him my digits. It was strictly business..after all, I had a boyfriend, "Richard" Occasionally, a rare Saturday night he would call me to see if I was out on the town. I was helping out at a bar that he was familiar with and I could get his name on the list...Well, after 2 years of him and I having the occasional dinner and drink, I left "Richard." (didn't leave him for Keith, just left him because, well, I did name him "Richard"...you get the idea)
Heartbroken and a royal mess Keith called me out of the blue and asked me to dinner. Now, let me tell you a little secret...I had a CRAZY crush on him! I mean, CRAZY! He was, and is, everything you could ever ask of in a person...but I had "Richard" so I wouldn't even go there. Anywho...in June of 08 we went out to dinner, and then out dancing... and here I am, 1 year later and moving to London in 1 week to be with my CRAZY crush, Keith.

So then there is the London thing...
Well, Keith works for some company that promoted and transferred him to London back in October of '08(no, I have no clue what he does, he tells me, but I still don't get it) Yes, when we begun our whirlwind relationship, we knew he was moving...and the entire time talked about how I was going to get to London. Well, let me tell you, it ain't easy! For starters you need a visa to work in the UK, and you are more likely to win the lottery then receive a UK working visa. You have to be a doctor, or lawyer, or whatever Keith does, in order to prove your worth the the British society (I guess visual merchandisers aren't important to society?!) So that was a annoying fact we had to face. Then we thought that I would "further my education" by becoming a student, therefore I would receive a student visa and be able to work...well, that plan was a bust as well...A student must have 26 hours of class time, and not to mention the bill the classes would cost me would be sky high, and plus, a small detail, I HATE school. Our third and final option was a "travel visa" a bunch of Keith's employees are in the UK on a travel visa. It allows them to work for 6 months and travel for 6months...perfect, right?!?!...um, no....Guess what, in order to get this "travel visa" you must be a resident of a country that participates in this treaty that the UK is apart of, and of course, the US isn't...but Canada, the Bahama's, even Saudi Arabia is...but no US. We couldn't believe it!!! After months and months of us trying to come up with a plan so I could work in the UK and live there as a resident, we had nothing! After trying the long distance thing for a few months I had had enough... Upon a short trip to the Uk over the Easter holiday, Keith and I were sitting in a pub, drinking a cold one, when I came up with a plan: We decided I would take a leave from my job.
It was brilliant! Upon works approval, I'm able to leave my job for an "undetermined" amount of time. I am going to be keeping in contact with a upper manager who will let me know whats going on in the company, and if say a position opens up that I want, I can give up my summer/fall in London and come home to a job. GREAT! Oh, but I forgot to mention...One other reason I need a visa is so I can live in the Uk for longer then 6 months...But I don't have a visa, so my stay in maximized to 6 months of time, unless Keith and I get engaged and married..but thats a whole new blog...

Conclusion: So Im moving to London for a "undetermined" amount of time...6months at the max. And I'm moving there to be with this fellow named Keith. I also like to call him "Cute Keith", and" Viv", and maybe even "jerk." We will see what happens...I'll keep you posted!

2 comments:

  1. Oh COB! Leo and I will definitely be following in your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As will the little lad and I!! We will live vicariously through you....

    ReplyDelete